When it comes to mortgages and renovations it is important that you have your financing in place before you take the sledge hammer out of the garage! Lenders do not like coming into play half way through a renovation. Planning is essential to ensure you will have enough funds to cover the renovation costs.
Did you know there are mortgage products available that may help you with the costs of renovations above the 80% loan-to-value refinancing rule. The Refinance Plus Improvements Mortgage is a great way to incorporate the costs of improvements into your mortgage.
Here’s a list of typical Refinance Plus Improvements Guidelines:
1. The improvement funds above the 80% loan-to-value mark for the current as-is market value of your home will be held back by the lender until your renovations are complete.
2. Lending value is based on an Appraisal that states the As-Is Complete Value
3. You will need quotes upfront for the proposed improvements
4. You may need additional funds to pay deposits to contractors
5. Do not start demolitions before an Appraisal is done
6. Funds available are typically limited to 20% of the current appraised value up to $40,000 (ask a mortgage broker about other mortgage options if you require more funds)
7. Renovations typically will need to be complete within 90 days from the date the mortgage completes
8. You must meet the lenders credit and debt servicing requirements
Stay on Budget and on Time by Following these 5 Simple Steps:
1. Finalize the design before you start!
2. Contact Suppliers to make sure that they have the materials you have chosen in stock or that they can be delivered quickly
3. Obtain quotes from 2 or more reputable contractors
4. Apply and secure any permits that are required before your mortgage completion date
5. Give your contractor a deadline to ensure you don’t go over the allotted time to complete the improvements
Start the renovation planning by contacting your Dominion Lending Centres mortgage professional first!